Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Easter Memories

I don't have a whole lot of memories of time spent with my grandmothers. Most of my memories of them were that they were old farm women, in cotton dresses and aprons, and often bonnets when out in the fields. My mom's mother died when I was pretty young, about 5 years old I think, so my memories of her are pretty vague. I really don't remember her spending time with us at all. I have many more memories of Grandma Neltner, since our first house was built on their farm, then when we moved to a bigger house, it was just up the road. Since we lived so close to grandma and grandpa Neltner, we often got to do farm things, like help throw potatoes on the trailer after they were dug up, or jump off the roof of the pigpen and ride the pigs. I remember often watching grandpa milk the cows, and he'd love to squirt us until we screamed and ran out of the barn. (Maybe he didn't really want us there!). But one of my favorite things to do was help grandma gather eggs in the chicken coop. She'd have her basket, or sometimes just use her apron, and I'd love to see how many of those little treasures awaited us. At Easter, grandma had a special night when the girl cousins (me and my 2 sisters and the 3 Hartig girls) would go to her house to color eggs. I remember a kitchen table covered in newspaper and huge pots of boiled, farm fresh eggs and we'd have a ball dying those beautiful eggs! Every Easter I think of those long ago Easters and coloring eggs with grandma. I used to have Tyler and Abby dye eggs with me when they were little. But now I'm so thrilled to have my own grandkids to share the fun with! This year Sylvia and Margot came over to help and they did an awesome job. These girls are turning into such little sweethearts and they really seem to have so much fun together! I love nothing more than to hear their sweet giggles and squeals and to hear about their love for everything Frozen and Hello Kitty. So, some day when they are dying Easter eggs with their children and then grandchildren, I hope they will think back about the Easters they spent at Grammy's house coloring eggs and telling stories about Elsa and Anna.

1 comment:

  1. I love this! We are so lucky to have such loving Grandparents who spend time with our kids. Thanks for an awesome Easter!!

    ReplyDelete