Friday, November 28, 2014

More than 30 Years of Gingerbread Houses

It was time for the gingerbread house construction. I started making these way, way back when I was pregnant with Rachael, and my then boss got 4-5 of us together for a few years at her "house" in Indian Hill (really, it was like the Sound of Music mansion) to make gingerbread houses. She would have the gingerbread pieces made by a bakery and we'd all bring a bag of candy to share in decorating the houses. After we quit doing this at Brenda's house, I wanted to keep it up, so every year since then (maybe 1 or 2 were skipped along the way) there has been a gingerbread house in my home. I've had the same gingerbread recipe and pattern pieces to cut out for more than 30 years. The kids loved it growing up, Jordan probably more than Rachael. He was really quite good at constructing it so it wouldn't fall to pieces, and he and Rach both liked decorating. Jordan, the artist, always seemed to come up with something a little different each year, and I loved to watch him get into it. As they got older, I had to do a bit more coaxing to get them to join me in making the house, but somehow it always got done. Then when they moved out, there were a few years in there when I made it myself (not much fun). But thankfully, my sister moved in up the street and it wasn't long before Abby and Tyler were joining Aunt Joycie in the gingerbread house tradition. Now that they are "tweens" their enthusiasm has lessened, but that's okay because now there are the grandkids to join in the fun. I can probably handle 2 kids at a time, but more than that would be a disaster. So, the Saturday before Thanksgiving seemed like a great time to introduce Sylvia to the fine are of building a gingerbread house and I snuck her out while her sister took her nap. (I would have loved to have Charlie join us, but getting him out of the house without Claire would have been impossible, so for this year at least, just one grandkid.) Anyway, since Sylvia loves all things arts and crafts, this was an incredible craft project for her to work on. She did a great job, especially making the M&M sidewalk and sprinkling the powdered sugar snow on the roof. I don't think any of the other women I started this tradition with are still making gingerbread houses, and they'd probably think I was crazy doing it all these years. But it's just not Christmas to me without it. I'm so happy I have the next generation to join in on the fun, and I hope this continues for many more years, even after I'm gone. It's something I hope at least one of the kids will pass on as a fond memory of Grammy and, at least at Christmas time, they will be thinking of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment