Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A Dear Friend, Gone too Soon

On Sunday, my friend Renotta King, passed away after almost 2 years of fighting cancer.  She was only 49, and a recent grandmother of 2 babies.  She was one of the most God-fearing women I've ever known, and I will miss her so much.

Even though she had to quit work more than a year ago, I looked forward to our visits, emails and calls.  She was one of the first people to befriend me when I started at Children's Hospital, and it was obvious from the start that her faith was huge.  She and her family (she had 4 children) spent 3 years in Peru doing missionary work, and only came back when she had a heart condition that needed to be kept in check.  Her husband, a minister, was committed to serving the Lord, and they lived a modest life.  They had nothing, and wanted nothing.  Even though they owned next to nothing, she told me once that it was so freeing to have no real possessions, and to owe nothing to anyone.  They lived above a funeral home, helping out when there were services there to offset the rent. 

When I worry about worldy possessions, how will we affort this or that, how will we ever retire, I stop and think of Renotta and try to put it all in perspective.  She had total trust in God, and I want more of that.  When she was diagnosed with cancer, she would often come in after doctor visits, and with a big smile on her face say "well, we didn't get good news"; she never, ever complained, ever.  She was in so much pain and suffering, but never let it change her attitude about life.  We are here as a gift from God, and we leave when God sees fit.  Her huge church congregation, friends and family all are a testiment to the lives she touched.  There are tons of postings on facebook about how remarkable she was, and she truly was.  Memorials are being requested to build a church in Peru in her honor, which is so fitting. 

I will always, always strive to be even a little bit like Renotta.  She was truly an angel walking among us, and will be so, so missed.  I'll never forget her.

No comments:

Post a Comment